Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Getting a good deal?

Sunday, 09-Oct-2011: I woke up a excited and at the same time apprehensive this morning. I had a plan.. a plan to do something that I have never done before.

(The day before - 08-Oct-2011): Lee Cher and I was having breakfast in the airport and reading that there is a sale at Courts. The D3100 was selling at $599 (which was a good deal given it is about $1000 normally). We arrived at Courts at almost 11am and lo-behold, it was sold-out.. (Why was I not surprised). We learn't from the sales person that all were gone by opening time, and mostly taken up by business-opportunity folks whom came with friends in droves. He kindly advised us to be there by 8am to Q to get a chance...

(Back to Sunday 09-Oct-2011): I wrote a little post-it note, stuck it on my Macbook (Lee Cher knows to look there usually) saying "I went to Courts". Drove to McDonalds to pick-up a latte. And ended up sitting outside Courts Tampines at 7.45am. I was number 6. The first 5 were foreign workers, seemingly sent there by their boss, to Q for the 5 Samsung LCD TV. I even contemplated, maybe I should go to Giant and get breakfast first, but.. I was "afraid" of loosing my spot, and risk loosing the opportunity to get the D3100 at a good deal.

I got myself comfortable sitting on the floor (should have brought my field chair), with the latte, I actually started cleaning up my photo library... and also reading the news from CNA, WSJ, CNN, ... etc...



Soon, more joined the Q, the gentleman that arrived after me (i.e. position #7) came with his maid. And I realized he didn't even know what he wanted. Originally a soundbar, then seeing I was getting a camera, he almost switched to buying the Panasonic GF2 (I think it should be a GF3 though). Eventually, I convinced him to buy what he needs rather than what has the greatest savings on the newspaper, and he kept to buying 2 soundbars.

Just at about 9am, the two foreign worker in front of me decided to go for breakfast and told me that I should let them come back to their positions after. Not wanting to be in the middle of any tussles, I told them they can do it at their own risk, but if they are denied their positions later, it is their own responsibility and not mine. After that, they decided to just sit down again... hungry (I guess).. just like me, also without breakfast.


I must also confess throughout the morning, after Lee Cher woke up, she tried to convince me she should bring breakfast.. I did "cooly" turn her down. Actually, if she came, maybe we would have gotten that soundbar (or something that we probably will not use).. Luckily she did not come to the Q that morning.

Finally, after sitting in the line for 2.5 hours, cleaning up my photo library and reading CNA + WSJ on my ipad. Plus talking to the others that joined the Q after me... I succeeded to get the #1 coupon for the Nikon DSLR D3100 @$599.


First I thing I did after getting the coupon, was to run to the toilet inside and then upstairs to level 3 to pay and collect the camera, then head home... By the afternoon, the battery was charged, and Lee Cher and I (plus Rock and his kids) had a great time shooting at Sengkang Riverside Park. But that's another post for another time...


No comments:

Post a Comment