Wednesday, October 12, 2011

D3100 + D90.. and a Sony

Sunday, 09-Oct-2011:

After an early morning at Courts, and then a studio shoot for my graduation with the family, Lee Cher and I decided to take the new D3100 for a trial. We decided to give Rock a call to see if he was able to join us... (Rock just got his telephoto zoom lens and wanted to try that with a Raynox-250 that I had)

(sidetrack: it was OSOW, I ended up going to Buangkok Field to join layangman.com for an hour's fly.. the field was muddy but nevertheless, a good turnout)

I was excited to go to Sengkang Riverside Park again as I found Blue-Tailed Damselflies and other critters quite easily during the last visit... After a short while on the boardwalk/bridge, we discovered that the everything an arms length away and I could not get close enough to our subjects. It was alright for Lee Cher as she soon had portrait and telephoto lenses...

Cats-Tail (c) Lee Cher


(c) Lee Cher

Soon after, we moved to the pond on the northern side of the park. There, I was a little more comfortable (like my home ground) and moved around more easily right next to the water's edge... Luke and Charles were off their bikes and started spotting things for me. They were also keen to bring me the critters directly..


"Damsel in Distress" in Charle's hands (c) Steven



Pond skater (c) Lee Cher


This in my opinion was a difficult shot as the whole pond was already grey and too much ripples. Lee Cher was quick to catch a "sole" pond skater bringing out the ripples that the pond skater created.


Blue-tailed Damselfly (c) Steven


(c) Steven



Stink-bug (c) Steven

Not so sure where I shot this but it was a shot that I liked during that day. The sun was truly beginning to set and this was one of the last shots without strobes.


Water spider (c) Steven

The water spider was my best catch of the day. I have always wanted to get a picture like this after seeing them online. I was fully engaged in shooting the damselflies when I noticed it quietly right next to me. It was facing away so I had to use my LV (Live-View) LCD to shoot this. After half a dozen shots, I finally got this! So I confirmed.. spider has eight (8) eyes.


(c) Rock

While totally focused on a dragonfly, we did not notice Rock snapping away at us. It was a nice shot, to see the D90 and the new D3100 being put through its paces together. Thanks Rock for this picture!

*****

The short 2 hours before dusk gave us enough opportunities to shoot some interesting subjects before it became to dark. Being able to go out together now with a camera each definitely allowed us to share the experience, and also to cover more grounds.. can't wait for this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment