Sunday, November 7, 2010

a new kite flies...

About 2 weeks ago, Lao-Zhang called me and said.. the 300+ panel Spectrum Kite has arrived. As usual, the first apprehension is how many colors was changed from the original design... But when Handi handed over to me the Spectrum Quad "Cool", it was so beautiful that I forgot how I designed it on paper, but instead I simply said THIS IS MY DESIGN "PERIOD"!


Unwrapping it nervously and then setting it up, it was a day with strong winds when I first flew it. Always a gentle flyer, I am careful not to overstretch the sail of the new kite. However, it was interesting to quickly notice that with the many stitches, the panels were holding together very well. Before long, I was zipping it, dropping it, spinning it, without much hesitation.. totally enjoying the very smooth ride. I immediately called Lao-Zhang to tell him how impressed I was with the kite.

...

It was Saturday afternoon last week at Layang-Layang at the Marina Barrage and boy was it a rain-down day. Moving to the foyer, I whipped out my Indoor Revolution but realized it was too breezy to fly the indoor. Handi made the first move to setup the Spectrum Quad "Hot" and zipping it thru' the air, taking advantage of the very gentle breeze and then floating high overhead with each turn... and before long, it was the head turner and crowd pleaser.. Peter and myself both took a shot at it (me being the least skillful) and I was further impressed by the superb balance and glide-ability of this 300+ panel kite.





The greatest pleasure for me was when Handi and Peter started an unchoreographed routine around the courtyard with the kites getting many eyeballs. The way the kite was moved through the air, it was almost like a seagull gliding. There was no better way then to have had an "unofficial" reveal of the Spectrum Quads "Hot" & "Cool".




...

Looking back, it was Spectrum Quad "Warm" & "Cool", I think its the kite is too "Hot" and warm is at the wrong temperature. And there is exactly 312 panels all in all, and the colors are just right!


...





2 comments:

  1. Great stuff. It is a testimony of the way passion changes everything. This is Zong long here. Congrats on your first blog. Keep writing. Has linked mine to yours now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zong Long, will keep coming back to put new stuff. Am working on the next blog... watch this space!

    ReplyDelete